Thursday, January 14, 2010

My GAME plan:

After reading through the web site for the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) and looking over the different NETS-T (see website below) the areas that I feel fairly confident in are:

· Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
· Model Digital-Age Work and Learning
· Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility
· Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership

In the classes that I teach I try to incorporate the modeling process of technology use whenever possible. In teaching Physics for the last few years without a book or many printed resources I have become creative in getting students to learn the information without relying on a book as a reference. My students know that when they take my class they are going to be using technology as a primary source of information. From the beginning we look at how valid information is and make sure that it is appropriate for high school use. I thought I would be so excited this year when our district purchase books for my classes, however I have found myself going back to the inquiry based lessons that I have come accustom too in the years past.

The area that I feel the least comfortable with is Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments. I feel that I am making progress in designing and developing learning experiences that incorporate technology however I do not feel confident when trying to design an assessment that is comprehensive of the entire unit.

Goal: To incorporate assessments that utilize the vast amount of technology that my school provides.

Action: I am going to design a few different assessments that will meet the needs of the different ability levels and learning styles of my students for the first unit in my second semester physics class. I will give the students the option of choosing what type of assessment they are interested in and allow them to explore the many variations of how they can show me that they understand the overall unit.

Monitor Progress: I am going to set weekly goals of coming up with 3 new ideas for assessments. At the end of the week I will make a short presentation to the students and get feedback.

Evaluate/Extend Learning: I am going to use a variety of resources to evaluate the process that I will be participating in such as student feedback and department feedback. I value the opinions of my peers and my students. I think it would be a great idea for students to share their assessments with other teachers (possibly not in our department) to see if their project conveys and understanding of material. I feel it is also important to talk to students about how I could have helped them reach their goals in this assessment differently.

http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

5 comments:

  1. Erin

    Your plan to set weekly goals of 3 new ideas each week is great. During the school year there is not a lot of time for me to redesign much due to the large volume of work I collect from the students. I have about 160 students, plus our school has a policy where the teacher needs to call parents when the students are acting out and not working to their potential. Then we have to document those call responses.
    How will you document the department feedback, will they be given a questionnaire?
    I like the action plan because the assessment will be differentiated, and that will be good for the students as it will allow them to perform better according to their preferred ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alternative assessments (especially in science) are what many high school programs are reaching forthese daye. You, Erin, will be on the cutting edge of that front with the integration of technology and alternative assessment. Our own school district's k12 science curriculum is underscrutiny this year as part of a tristates audit that occurs ever five or six years. Every category requests examples of alternative assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way your plan gives your students choices in their assessments and even allows them to find the best ways to show their mastery of the content. This will help the students develop ownership of their own learning. What a wonderful idea!

    I am also interested in your idea of having teachers from other departments help the students evaluate their assessment choices. By doing this, you just might inspire choice and alternative assessment in other areas of your school.

    Good luck as you implement your plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorna,
    I personally do not have a ton of time to redesign, however I would rather plan than grade papers so usually that gets pushed aside until the weekend. Also the units are fresh in my mind so I think that it will be good to keep a running list. Even if I cannot get to all of the ideas now I have them for the summer to develop.

    In our science department we usually work in teams to develop units and assessments, however at the moment I am the only one that teaches physics so I will have to do surveys or discuss the ideas and bounce ideas off of the other teachers.

    Chana,
    The school that I teach at is getting ready for the process that I believe your school is going through right now. We are building files for each section of science so that we can show how diverse we are.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that fact that the majority of your plan deals with talking to the students to get their ideas and needs is great. I will allow you to develop a great relationship with them and provide you with great information to help maximize learning.

    ReplyDelete