Over the last 8 weeks I have come to the revelation that students (even high school students) do not know how to fully research information on the internet. Through our multi-week application on our unit plan I was able to see that there is so much more that goes into informational research than just looking up a topic. I do an end of the year project with my juniors (after the seniors have graduated) and constantly wonder why students miss information on their topic and report incorrect information, and have come to the conclusion that students use the resources that pop up on their search engine in the first five items listed. I need to go over how to research: 1) compose a question, 2) determine if the sources are valid, 3) synthesize information, and 4) relay information clearly in a presentation.
From what I have learned in EDUC 6712 Supporting Information Literacy and Online Inquiry in the Classroom I will revamp my end of the year project, by teaching students techniques of researching throughout the year in small projects so that when they are assigned a larger in depth project they are prepared.
I would like to pursue the goal of learning how to present information in a variety of ways. I know how to use blogs, wiki’s, voice threads, and PowerPoint Presentations; however I am interested in learning more ways for students to share their information with other students and to present their information in varying ways. I plan to do some research over new ways to present and share information in 2010 by doing personal research and attending local conferences.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment