Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Revising My GAME Plan

So far I have collect many different assessment types from my own personal research and from the teachers in the district. I have also learned new ways in which to assess (grade) students based on the content and the effort that they have put into an activity or project. I am still working toward incorporating technology influenced activities into my daily class plans and new ways for students to learn and show that they have learned important content based information.

I would like to set some new goals for the upcoming year to incorporate into my class. Based on the NETS-T I would like to incorporate at the beginning of the year more activities on digital citizenship and technology concepts and operations with my students. I feel if I start out the year by having them learn how to use different types of technology and use it appropriately then by the end of the year when I assign the final exam project for all the juniors in physics they will have a catalog of technology example that they can use and I will not need to teach these new programs to the students, rather we can do a refresher on them and then they can choose how they want to proceed.

This time I would really like to go to some seminars (as my new learning approach) and have hands on training with web 2.0 and so on. I feel that I do ok with personal research however if I want students to use all these different technology avenues I need to also be an expert and I am a hands on learner.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Erin

    I find that our school system is not very interested in having in service for teachers related to using new technologies in schools. I too wish if they had more in services training sessions for our teachers especially in math and science.

    Your idea to have students begin the year with an introduction to the new technologies is vital as this gets them ready for what is required of them. Continued practice of this throughout the year, will really help them to become very proficient at using these tools and solving any problems your may throw at them. This will equip them for the 21st century work world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorna,

    In science and math one would think that the school would be excited to incorporate new technologies as it directly relates. I understand that times are tough. I have learned so much in these masters courses that I have started to use, and know that the students see my classes differently than they see another math or science teachers class. I just have to keep thinking that I am doing some good and getting them ready even if the school isn't helping.

    I am setting up my semester for next fall/winter now when it is fresh in my mind so that I am incorporating some new ways of learn and presenting information, and also giving them the opportunity to present their own information.


    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,
    You are taking the right approach. There are plenty of online user groups to search and locate some inservice training for yourself over the summer break. However, I hope that you do continue this year with your junior physics students even with imperfections. You'll get valuable experience with students that no inservice training will provide you. Your confidence will improve for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked what you said about starting the year out fresh with digital citizenship and technology concepts. I go through a library orientation with all of the students at the beginning of every year. I give the students a crash course on the school's acceptable use policy and that's it. I am going to revamp this and make digital citizenship a larger componant of this lesson. If the students aren't taught this in the beginning of the year and then continually reinforced throughout the year, it will have little or no effect.

    ReplyDelete