My research has been going well, this has been a really busy week for me with grades being due and getting an entirely new set of students, it’s like the beginning of the year but worse with all the extra stuff going on (spirit week, student council meetings, grades, new students to learn…).
However, I took the advice of some of my classmates and I really looked into rubrics and did some searches on using rubrics and developing them. I have gotten some great responses from the other teachers that I work with, as I reached out for their help in building a catalog of different types of assessments.
In this week’s DVD, Dr. Ertmer actually discussed using rubrics in problem based learning activities and referenced rubistar as a free online rubric developer. I checked this site out and found this to be helpful. I still have a lot of work to do on developing a rubric as this is imperative to me designing new types of assessments. Some questions that have come up that I am still looking for feedback on is how do other teachers fit in effort and all the extras in a project/presentation. I have the content part of the rubric down; I am looking for feedback on the other parts that teachers include in rubrics. For example, referencing material, the actual effort put into the presentation.
I have tons of great ideas for new ways to assess students, now I am focusing on my part as the teacher and giving the students a rubric to follow so that they can be creative and also follow a set of guidelines.
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I find it hard to assess effort as well. I usually have students fill out a self assessment about how hard they tried and how long they worked on a project. However, I realize some students may not be totally honest and I would be nice to have a more concrete way to give an actual grade. I found this effort rubric on the internet and really liked it.
ReplyDeletedweb.tusd.k12.az.us/templates/strategies/reinforcing/rubrics.dot
I really like rubistar as well. I am going to attempt to use it with my unit for this class. I am in your boat as far as never having enough time. We are starting our ITBS tests next week and our schedule is nuts. We will be lucky to get any instruction in.
I was not able to open the link here at school; I will try when I get home. I am interested in looking over an effort rubric. Wouldn't it be nice if we could hook our students up to a computer and download that amount of effort they put into something. Technology would be really great then :)
ReplyDeleteI love rubistar as well. It does offer great resources for teachers in all subject areas. You could have students create their own rubric as well. That way students could set their own standards and know what they are working towards. Maybe if they created their own standards, they would expect more from themselves.
ReplyDeleteShauna,
ReplyDeleteThat is a really great idea. I think students will set higher goals for themselves and if they set the goal they will probably feel like they have to meet the expectation, especially because they set it.
Erin
Erin,
ReplyDeleteI think the rubric is a great idea. It allows the students to know what is expected so they are not guessing what they are supposed to be learning, but instead know.