Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Monitoring my Game Plan

In looking for information on assessment types I feel like this week’s learning resources really tie into my individual Game Plan. In my research I have found that I really did know more about the different ways that students learn, and when I sat down and started making a list, I discovered that I actually do incorporate different learning styles into my teaching. My focus has now really become assessment types. I teach to different learning styles and assess students in different ways throughout each unit, however I really only use paper and pencil examinations and quizzes.

My action plan does need to be modified in the sense that I feel that I do teach in multiple ways to meet the needs of all students. However, I really am interested in varying my formal assessments and making them less formal. In the past I have always gotten students in my physics classes that want old fashion examinations. They all excelled in the academics, and just wanted me to tell them the information, in previous years when I would try new activities some of the students would lose interest because they just wanted the information because they were great at spitting it back out to me, they really didn’t care about the learning experiences. I have seen a major shift in students learning styles and them needing the experiences to understand the information.

This way of learning is much more conducive to varying my assessments and incorporating more projects and individualized learning activities. Some new questions that I have started to think about more are:

· In what ways can I assess students learning without having them write it down?
· How can I assess students on the same material but with different media?
· How do I grade different types of media projects and use the same points scale?
o If we think that students don’t notice that their neighbor got 1 more point than they did, we as teachers are kidding ourselves?
o How do I explain to a parent what I expect of their child, and get them on board to learn along with us?

5 comments:

  1. In my undergraduate program, we were required to document three different assessments types on our lesson plans. This really helped me plan different types of assessments. These types of assessments include but are not limited to antedocal notes, rubrics, observations, checklist, teacher made test, and any other form of checking for student understanding. With the use of technology, the possibilities are endless. I hope you find strategies that fit you and your students needs in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To assess student learning I guess you would have to think of the project and the medium of presentation. Maybe a rubric would work for most presentation types with a slight modification. Like Shauna says you can use check lists, or just a regular test. Good luck there are lots of choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice! I am the master of check lists so that making be a really good way for me to check for understanding. Would you both give the checklist out to the students (or rubric)? Or when you do that do you get only what is on the rubric? As you can tell I haven't done many formal projects with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using a preset rubric to grade different types of project could be easily done. Each project maybe looking for different learning points but the points can be weighed to equal the same total points at the end. I have three different grade levels in my classroom and six different rubrics one for each students because they are all at different levels, but the total points are always the same. I try to get the parents on board by emailing the rubric to them and having students write on their behavior logs where they are with their project and one new thing they have learned that day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danika,

    Would you first present all the different options and then allow the students to choose the way they would like present their project? Or would you have the students choose their project first and then give them a rubric which most closely resembles what they are doing? They may have to add a few things depending on what type of project they are working on, however it still reflects their original idea. I can see that this would work, It is frustrating because in these videos the teachers talk about how they are having students work on multiple projects and monitoring their progress, however they never go over the preparation and how they are grading things and it seems easy until you try it yourself. I appreciate all the advice and feel a little more confident in trying some new ideas that I have.


    Erin

    ReplyDelete