Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Carrying out my GAME Plan

In order to carry out my own personal GAME Plan of developing new assessments that reach all of the students diverse learning needs I am going to do the following:

· Research different learning styles
· Find different types of technologies that correspond to the type of learning
· Search the internet and lesson planning sites for ideas in my specific content areas of projects and assessments that other teachers have used
· Learn and practice the technology on my own time and model the technology in class that I expect my students to use.

In conjunction with my own personal research I am going to need addition information on my students. A survey seems like the easiest way to gather information about students; however I have my doubts that some students will take it seriously and be able to answer preset questions with the kind of detail that portrays the way that they learn. I will use a survey to gather information about what student like and dislike, and also experience in which they excelled in. However, I want to use some of the activities in class and record information of students that take more interest in these activities, and come up with some different areas that students excel in.

I have been able to do some research online about different learning styles. I have also discussed this GAME Plan that I have developed for myself with some of the teachers at school and now having teachers sending me ideas in different subject areas of ways that they assess student learning. I plan to send out an email, starting with just the high school where I work for assessment ideas and then plan to contact the middle and elementary schools. With this information I hope to build a file of assessment types that are used all the way through a student’s education k -12.

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever used Surveymonkey.com? It is a great way to survey students and get results fast! Students may be more engaged in taknig the survey since it is completed online. You may be more likely to get the results you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shauna that Surveymonkey or some other such service is the way to go. Pen-and-paper surveys look too much like work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of site like that however I have never used them. I imagine I could attach that to my high school blog that I have for the students and parents. It is true that when you give students a piece of paper it is work to them and the students that really need the different assessments don't end up even filling the survey out. Thanks for the great idea.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, there are great ways to assess learning styles using familiar activities such as ordering at McDonalds. Different learners do things diffferently. Check out the web for alternative methods of assessing learning styles.
    Our high school uses a system called Naviance which asks questions to assess learning stlye, career paths, educational opportunities...
    Plus, your file of assessment types could be presented district wide at a staff development gathering. I'm sure several of your K-12 colleagues are interested too!

    ReplyDelete