Dr. Orey described cognitive learning theory as the pathway or networking that allows us to recall information that we have learned or experienced. Some of the specific strategies that he spoke of were information processing, dual coding, and elaboration. These strategies all have pros and cons for total recall of information, for example dual coding where images and text information are used together to help commit information to memory. However if there is not a balance between the text and the images used to represent it, a student may not make the connection between the image and the text that it represents.
The instructional strategy discussed in chapter 4: Cues, Questions, and Advanced Organizers correlate very well to cognitive practices. I feel that they represent a way of teaching that helps student commit information to memory. In the course text it is said that this strategy is “used to enhance students’ ability to retrieve, use, and organize information about a topic” (Pitler et al, 2007, p. 73). Many similarities such as concept mapping and advanced organizers connect this strategy to cognitive learning theory. Dr. Orey talked about constructing a concept map that one needs to come up with a main idea which is called the node and then build a network of connections off of the main idea. Cues and questions are another way of building this network of connections, with reminders and questions that build on one idea and leads to another.
The other instructional strategy that was discussed was summarizing and taking notes. I feel that this instructional strategy is important in conveying the initial information. The process of learning a new concept is important to how well it is committed to memory. By taking notes and separating the important information verse the extraneous information and then stating it in your own words helps to make the connections to recall the important information.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Erin,
ReplyDeleteDo you currently use concept maps in your classroom? I use a lot of graphic organizers, and I am wondering if I should switch to concept maps. The graphic organizers are much less complex than the concept maps we have looked at this week. Also, what kind of note taking do you require your students to preform? I had a hard time requiring my students to take notes because it took up so much time.
Dr. Orey stated that note-taking is a positive tool. I use this strategy in my class. My students are engaged during this activity. I will implement one more step in note-taking. I will provide the students my PowerPoints notes. Or do you think note-taking can be an important tool for retaining information for the long-term memory?
ReplyDeleteShauna,
ReplyDeleteI use both concept maps and graphic organizers. I would say that I use graphic organizers more than concept maps though, just because they are a bit more simple for the students to learn information from. However, I have students make concept maps at the end of a unit as a review for the exam. I found that it is a good gauge to see if they truly understand how each topic fits together.
Shearsology,
I think it really depends on the topic you are covering. I think it also depends on the student, some students learn from the process and others learn from seeing it all set up for them. I use a guided note sheet with my PowerPoint’s, to keep students involved without taking so much extra time to write every little detail down.
In math I have the problems on a sheet of paper then they need to fill in the steps. I usually do 20 minutes of notes (example problems) then individual or group practice. I also do a note check once a week to make sure that students are keeping a notebook and I give them points for them.