I have been thinking about this question for the last few weeks, even before this became an assignment for us to complete. How could I use a blog in my high school Physics or Earth Science classroom? What can it do for the students to enhance their learning? I have all of these questions, unfortunately not all of the answers.
I like the idea of setting up a discussion questions on a weekly basis, possibly posting my initial question for thought on a Friday, and giving some background information in class, and then having the students post responses throughout the week. I like to see students that are normally quiet and shy in class have a say and get their point across.
Right now in my Earth Science class we are talking about GHG's (greenhouse gases), climate change, global warming and how do we fit in the middle of this. I think that a discussion blog on some of these topics would open students up to another point of view and how to write deliberately without offending other students by possibly not having the same point of view.
As a student I always had strong opinions however I rarely shared it with my peers. I wanted a way to open up without the possibility of face to face rejection. I also think that students are more likely to thing through an argument when typing rather than a face to face discussion.
What are your thoughts on this?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Response to Erin
ReplyDeleteYour idea for using blogs in the classroom is excellent I will definitely try with a similar strategy in my science classes. I also think that a way we can use a blog in our science classes middle school and high school is in lab research collaboration. Using the blog you might encourage students to share the lab data they found during the lab activities, encouraging them to write their lab report on the class blog. This way not only the teacher will have access and evaluate their lab report but the rest of the class or classes as well. Yow can even require a lab format. The fact that they will be reporting on the web might make them to produce a more elaborated report, give more credit to the activity, and have even the possibility of an external audience which can be their parents.
This is definatly a lesson good for students less likely to respond and share in front of the class. Students could share their reports with their parents and even out of town relatives. The possiblilites are endless. What about the students who may not do as well because of lack of access to the computer? Would all of the work be done at school?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the great responses. There are so many ways I feel high/junior high school students can benefit from educational blogging (not to mention elementary and middle). I love the lab idea, especially with the template there for the students.
ReplyDeleteThe challenging part is going to be students that need to use school computers and when they can fit this in during class. Accommodations would need to be made for some students, I completely agree.